Nine Ways to Make Your Apartment Feel Like Home
We’ve all walked into a home that just feels right. It’s warm and welcoming, and everything in it makes sense for the people living there. You don’t have to own to feel at home. Make your living space your own, even if you aren’t settling in for the long term. After all, it’s where you likely spend most of your time, so making it feel special should be a priority.
Start making your new apartment your own as soon as you move in. The more quickly you start doing the small things, the sooner you can create the home of your dreams. Try these ideas to smooth the transition into a new place:
1. Unpack everything immediately. It’s hard to feel at home with boxes littering every corner of your new place.
2. Stock up on kitchen staples and toiletries. You’ll be able to start cooking immediately and avoid takeout expenses. And this isn’t the time for constant shopping trips to grab the basics.
3. Ask your landlord about any decorating restrictions. Knowing whether you’re allowed to paint the walls or put up temporary crown molding frees you to unleash your creativity.
4. Make your bed, complete with throw pillows. You’ll start a good habit and have a cozy oasis to sink into after a long day of unpacking.
The Next Steps
5. Lighting is one of the easiest and least expensive ways to establish your new home. The way a space is lit contributes both to the overall perception of space and the occupants’ comfort. Lamps illuminate end tables or nightstands in style, while changing out lighting fixtures in the rooms really lets you make your mark on the place.
6. Add visual interest and extra privacy with stylish window treatments. Make sure it’s OK to attach a rod or other fixture to the wall before you place curtains or drapes over your blinds or shades. Nice curtains will not only make your rooms more energy efficient, but add design flair and show off your taste.
7. Candles and textiles add warmth to any room. There’s nothing like the glow of a candle to create instant atmosphere. Throws, rugs and pillows create textural interest and allow you to update your decor without a lot of money or effort.
8. Divide rooms to create privacy or specific functionality. Change the flow of your apartment, or separate your living space among roommates by strategically placing a plant, credenza or room divider.
9. Create a signature style by finishing your room decor with dramatic accents. From a boldly colored lampshade to an over-sized painting, there’s nothing like an eye-catching piece to make any room truly your own.
Make your house, condo or apartment a place you’ll want to come home to — and show off to guests. Establish your signature style and create a comfort zone for all who visit or live here with these nine tips. Start your journey by finding the perfect residence from Ellicott Development.