Via Buffalo Rising
Read Full Article
Latest National Register Landmark: The Meldrum-Edwards Building
Buffalo’s newest National Register property also has seven new apartments. The Meldrum-Edwards Building, now dubbed The Antonio, at 265-67 Pearl Street was added to the Register on May 29. In late-2011, Ellicott Development unveiled a dozen upscale loft apartments on the top four floors of the seven-story building. The company recently added an additional seven units on the bottom three floors of the building. All of the units are leased according to Ellicott Development.
Information on the building from the Registration Form prepared by Kerry Traynor of kta preservation specialists:
Constructed in ca. 1909, The Meldrum-Edwards Building is an excellent, intact example of an early use of reinforced-concrete frame construction. The aesthetic of the eight story brick and terra cotta building references the classic, tall building tripartite form (base, shaft, capital), with Neoclassical detailing at the cornice as opposed to the industrial aesthetic, expressive of structure and form, that will come to characterize the daylight factory.
The building retains a high level of integrity and meets Criterion C of the National Register Eligibility requirements. The building is also significant under Criterion A for its association with Commerce, specifically department stores.
H.A. Meldrum and E.W. Edwards & Sons, who operated their emporiums in the ca. 1909 building, between 1909 – 1922 and 1922 – 1952 respectively, were both successful and highly regarded merchants in the city of Buffalo and region.
The Meldrum-Edwards Building, an eight story brick commercial building located at 265 – 267 Pearl Street, was constructed in ca. 1909, between W. Mohawk Street…Read Full Article