May 8th, 2012
By Mike Puma
Work is well underway on Ellicott Development’s 14 North Street project as units are taking shape and preparing to receive finishes shortly. The building originally was built in 1899 as a Baptist Church and retains a high level of architectural integrity. It will soon be home to eleven new residential units, ranging from one to three bedrooms and a commercial space approximately 1000 sq. ft.
Many of the original architectural details have carefully been retained in place or in some cases moved elsewhere and put on display. Some of the stained glass had to be removed to allow a clear pane of glass for pure natural light into the units. The removed pieces have been incorporated elsewhere into the building (see below).
The units in the basement have taken shape nicely, featuring high ceilings with original pressed metal and great hardwood floors. The detailed woodwork of the altar has been kept in place and now serves as the primary living space for one of the units. In similar fashion, the space to the right of the altar with scagliola columns and ionic capitals has also been retained and incorporated into the new unit.
Get Connected: Ellicott Development, 716.654.0060